
In the past few weeks I have visited a large quantity of museums and have observed a very new environment. The key aspects of these observations is the classical sculpture. For one thing it is everywhere and out of most things I have seen what appears to be in the most abundant quantity is figures. The bust more importantly lends itself to the type of art I have been creating. The 'bust' is defined as being a sculpture of the head shoulders and chest, within perfect proportion these are created. This is very much in relation to perspective. When someone looks around they immediately take it in. It is what defines the third dimension that we see. When a classical 'bust' is observed a similar feeling is had.

These figures created on each column are in the light of the 'ideal', as in perfect proportion, undeniable. The contradiction is, that these types of proportions are not seen in reality, yet they define it in this tradition.

These are two pencil drawings, titled 'Heads 3' and 'Heads 4' that I have done based upon busts I have seen the the city and in the art history museum. The illusion of the column serves as the visual element that links the impossibility of proportion of the heads to the impossibility of perspective of the columns. They are both 8" x 11".

No comments:
Post a Comment